Mechanical Prototyping Lab
Mechanical prototyping lab houses many precise measurement tools for quality controls.
Tools & Equipment:
- Shop-vac, eye-wash, shower, sink, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, hearing protection, face shields, safety glasses, gloves, etc
- Scrap materials available for prototyping use
- Tape measure, level, safety glasses, brushes, various tapes, various glues, MarkRite letter & number punches (¼ inch), crowbar, protractors, knives, scrapers, tube bender, screwdrivers, nutdrivers, calipers, micrometers, gage blocks, force gage, thread gages, hole gages, feeler gages
- Allen wrenches, standard wrenches, metric wrenches, sockets, taps and dies, drill bits, files, hammers, mallets, saws, clamps, pliers, cutters, punches, chisels, and more.
- Clamps, table vice, press, timer, temperature probe, pressure gauge, calibrated masses, force guage, dial thickness guage, hand drill, power mixer, machining lubricant, dremel, and bench top work area
MTS 858/859 Mini Bionix II
⋅ Force capacity 25 kN (5500 lbf)
⋅ Stroke 10 mm (4.0 in)
⋅ Torque capacity 200 Nm (2000 in lb) with 270 degrees of rotation
⋅ Torque capacity 40 Nm (400 in lb), with 3600 degrees (10 turns) of rotation, 330 rpm
For more information please review the MTS Machine Manual (.pdf) and the Load Unit Manual (.pdf)
**Currently unavailable. Contact MDC Lab Supervisor if you are interested in the MTS Machine.
JET Milling Machine
JET Equipment & Tools Milling/Drilling Machine
⋅ Model No: JMD-15
⋅ Drilling capacity 1 in, Face mill capacity 2 ½ in, End mill capacity ½ in, Maximum distance spindle to table 15 in.
⋅ Equipped with digital 3-axis coordinate reader for the table. Reads to 1 ten-thousandth of an inch, or 1 one-hundredth of a mm
For more information please review the Milling/Drilling Machine Manual (.pdf) & Standard Operating Procedures (.pdf)
Maier+Co. Manual Lathe
Maier+Co. EMCO Compact 10 Lathe
⋅ Instruction book is onsite or available for viewing online
book contains diagrams of operator controls and cutting speed plots
⋅ EMCO specification booklet with technical data also onsite.
For more information please review the Standard Operating Procedures (.pdf)
BALDOR Bench Grinder
BALDOR 600E Grinder/Buffer
⋅ 1/3 horsepower, 3600 rpm, max wheel size 6 inches,
⋅ NOTE: The labels on the wheels indicating which materials are for which wheels!
For more information please review the Grinder/Buffer Manual (.pdf) & Standard Operating Procedures (.pdf)
Kewaunee Fume Hoods
Kewaunee Scientific Corp. Fume Hood
⋅ Hose sources available: water, air, nitrogen, vacuum
⋅ Assorted common chemicals available in small quantities
⋅ Know the chemicals you are working with. This means having a MSDS for it, knowing and understanding what it says.
NOTICE: In order to prevent the release of chemicals into the sanitary sewer, place the drain plug in the sink when using chemicals.
1. Do not put your head in the hood when contaminants are being generated.
2. Clean up spills as soon as possible.
3. Minimize foot traffic or other causes of cross current air flow near the fume hood.
4. Keep the sash at the optimum height.
5. Do not store unnecessary chemicals or apparatus in the hood.
6. Do not place electronics or other spark sources in the hood when flammables are present.
Craftsman Drill Press
⋅ Model No, 137.229151
⋅ 15 inch, 12 speed, 5/8 inch chuck
⋅ table tilts 0 – 45 degrees
⋅ 1 horsepower max developed
For more information please review the Drill Press Manual (.pdf) & Standard Operating Procedures (.pdf)
Craftsman Belt/Disc Sander
⋅ Model No. 137.215280
⋅ 2 x 42 in belt
⋅ 8 in disc
⋅ 1 horsepower max developed
⋅ 3450 RPM no load speed
For more information please review the Belt/Disc Sander Manual (.pdf) & Standard Operating Procedures (.pdf)
Stratasys 3D Printer
Stratasys Object 260 Connex 3D Printer
⋅ Variable durometer capability
⋅ Multi-material jetting technology, up to 14 different material properties in one print
⋅ Over 100 materials, including up to 90 Digital Materials
⋅ 16 micron high resolution layer accuracy
⋅ Tray size of 260 x 260 x 200 mm (10.2 x 10.2 x 7.9 inch)
The Printer is not to be used by non-staff members please contact the 3D Prototyping Coordinators (email@example.com) for more information.
Wilton Band Saw
⋅ Speed range 80 – 350 SFPM, Reyon stepless variable speed pulley.
NOTE: Adjust speeds only while machine is running!
⋅ 14 inch vertical saw, adjustable guides and workpiece table.
NOTE: This machine is not for cutting steel!
For more information please review the Band Saw Manual (.pdf) & Standard Operating Procedures (.pdf)
Earl E. Bakken Medical Devices Center Safety Training must be completed before using the Prototyping Facility.